Make Up Under the Spotlight...

As it's a whole new year (and an exciting one at that!) I felt it was time to shake up my make up routine, as I wasn't entirely satisfied with some of the products I was using so far.
Sometimes after a while of using one particular product, I'll look in the mirror as some point and realise what I refused to admit to myself for some time, the product doesn't work.
I admit I'm one of those girls who shops round for bargains, loves the sales, and wears whole outfits that cost less than £50. However when it comes to make up I will happily splash out £10-25 on a single lipstick, £30 on foundation and so on.
With a little treat help from Edd as a New Year cheer up (thanks SADs!) I skipped off to have a little shopping spree in the make up aisles of Liverpool.


As you can see I had quite a haul this fine day!
Liverpool city centre has a great selection of make up stores, including a large MAC, make up counters in Debenhams and John Lewis, and a Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar which host concessions from Nails Inc, NARS, Bobbi Brown and many many more.
I always shop and research online when looking for products before I go into the stores to buy, as much as I love some of these brands I can't help but feel like I'm being pushed to buy more which I can't really afford, as much as I would love to.



My first stop was the NARS counter, I have been after a new blusher as I felt my MAC one didn't last very long at all and I felt that I was looking rather washed out by the end of the day.
When looking I was trying to decide between three shades of peachy pink blush, all of which with rather innuendo based names which made for a fun store visit!
I had to decide between Deep Throat, Orgasm, and Super Orgasm, which as you can tell is a pretty difficult choice.
In the end I went for Orgasm, which seems to be a popular choice with one selling every 13 seconds across the world.
Orgasm is a mix of coral, pink and peach with gold shimmering undertones which I thought would compliment my hennaed red hair and make me look somewhat more alive when it hit 5pm.
So far so good, a small amount makes a subtle impact but it can be built up if you prefer a stronger look which may have been a little too strong on me...!
Learned that one the hard way.



Another part of my face I wasn't happy with (seems to be how this blog is going...!) were my eyebrows.
I used Illamasqua eyebrow cake for years, a red powder that although would look good when first applied, it tended to wear off after a short period of time leaving me stranded outdoors with only half an eyebrow.
I'd heard that MAC's eyebrow gel was really long lasting and left you with a more natural look and so it was off to MAC I skipped for a consultation with a very helpful assistant.
I'm yet to completely master the gel, and I'm sad that I have one perfect natural Audrey Hepburn eyebrow rather than two, seriously how come my natural eyebrows don't even match each other, but the colour was perfect and it's quite easy to manipulate and blend into the brow line to look more natural.
To top them off and keep them in position I also invested in the Red Chestnut waterproof eyebrow set to add a little more colour and longevity, this only adds a little more colour to the natural hairs of which I have few (seriously, what is it with my eyebrows?!) but helps it to stay put longer.
The two together really works for me, despite having not quite mastered it yet I'm rather happy with these products as after a long day at work my eyebrows remained intact.


If I was overhauling then of course I must buy a new liquid eyeliner, the quintessential make up product for any vintage lover!
Although I've been wearing liquid liners since the age of 17/18 pretty much ever day, I still have not been able to get that thin perfect line just above the lashes that give a subtle but classic definition.
With this super sharp Stila felt tip liquid liner I managed to succeed, and not just on the right eye which I could usually get pretty much right and then have to ruin by trying to make it match the thicker line on the left eye, but on both eyelids with ease!
It lasted all day except for slight wear on the inner corner of one eyelid, but my cats eye flicks remained intact and I rocked some sultry eyes all day long.


After applying all that pricey slap to my face, I'll want it to stay put of course! 
I've tried Urban Decay's oily face setting spray as I used to have some shine issues, but I wasn't really that fussed on it sadly, but after so many reviews and ravings about this particular setting spray I opted for the more affordable £9.00 smaller bottle to try.
I'm amazed, my make up still looks pretty much how I applied it, and a second opinion from Edd claimed that it looked as though I'd only applied it a few hours previous rather than 12 hours ago.
I shall be trailing it further but I can imagine I will be replacing this at some point when it runs out.



I would rather not think about how much this tiny but impactful haul cost me, but as I had really looked into each item I'm very happy with the items I've got.
As make up is one of those items I use every day I do think it's worth splashing out on for quality items that will make you feel like you look good and add a little confidence boost too.
My outfit may only be £50 but at least my face looks a million dollars...!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...